A Sentimental Education

...dedicated to conscientious self-absorption.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Groundhog

My university has this groundhog event every advancing spring. Traditionally, it consisted of hundreds of people trespassing on some unused, wooded property, and drinking cheap beer for 36 hours until the grounhog appeared.

There was an alumni groundhog gathering here last night. No woods. No keg. A restaraunt on 3rd Ave. instead. There were two people I knew there and one person I knew only peripherally but with whom I had a number people in common; found out he lives in a 41-foot yacht - holy shit. Talked with some generally very nice married people and met a couple of people who graduated in long, long after me, which should have been especially depressing but somehow wasn't. We all ended up going to another bar in Alphabet City where salsa dancing was the prevalent theme. It was a pretty nice place, but I have absolutley no interest in dancing that does not include jumping up and down and mouthing the words to the song.