A Sentimental Education

...dedicated to conscientious self-absorption.

Friday, January 28, 2005

Björkestra

Last night I went to see Travis Sullivan's Björkestra at the Knitting Factory - orchestral, jazz-infused arrangements of Björk songs. It was pretty good. They started off with the oveture to Dancer in the Dark, which I have't heard since the last time I saw the movie a couple of years ago. It still hits hard. It was a good show, but I got easily bored with the long jazz riffs inserted in the arrangements. Technically, the riffs were great, but I can't get into jazz when I'm standing up. I have to be sitting down to enjoy it because there's no narrative line to the music. I'm just too easily distracted when I'm trying to see around someone and not spill my beer.

On another note, if I read one more thing about wunderkind (and my new neighbor, incidentally) Conor Oberst, I'm going to vomit. Yes, he's good, but this whole city is falling over themselves praising him since he moved here. What's the dealio, yo? I got over the folksy-angsty guitar shit a long time ago.